Day 7 ~ Schedule Change

Distance: 3.27 miles
Time 38:49
Pace 11'50"
Calories 419

So apparently I can walk much faster on the treadmill than on that old dirt road.

This morning, bright and early, I was whisked away by Tweedle dee and Tweedle dum (Mom and Dad) to Howard county. My parents are quite involved in Arkansas Extension Homemakers and I am frequently asked to volunteer for hideous duties, such as judging baked goods. I can't even begin to tell you how hard that was on me. I was, honestly, concerned about my calorie intake but ended up consuming very little as it really only takes a tiny bite to get the full effect of a cookie...shocking I know. The fun part was that I got to sit next to my Dad and analyze every aspect of the goods sat before us; uniformity, texture, smell and taste. I never knew there were so many criteria involved in a loaf of banana nut bread. Luckily, we weren't forced to taste anything horrible, even though we also judged the junior category. These were the most precious and darling assemblies of flour and sugar I've ever seen. Just knowing that little hands baked them made the judging so much easier. We were allowed to write on their entry cards if we had any criticisms or advice, or just praise. I was swelling with joy as I imagined their reactions when they read "delicious! good job!" If I had to write anything negative at all, I made sure to say something positive as well. Mom told me later (she and my aunt judged the flowers and plants) that they had been putting smily faces next to their evaluations. We're such suckers!

Since I was needed elsewhere this morning, and all afternoon, I didn't have my walk. The air was so cool and lovely when I arrived home I couldn't wait to get little Miss Emma and head out. Bless her heart, she'd been in her kennel for hours. I got my tennis shoes on, opened the door and...rain. I almost talked myself out doing anything else for the day, but I needed to get my miles logged into my iPod and I can't figure out how to do it unless I'm walking. So I dusted off the old treadmill. I must tell you that I really have a love/hate relationship with that machine. It is nice to have, especially in such situations as today, it works my butt off, it makes me sweat, I can watch TV while I'm working out but... I hate that thing!

I did get to watch Oprah which I was excited about. Don't you think sometimes God uses the TV and such to speak to you? The Judds were on Oprah today and boy did that Wynonna have some powerful things that I needed to hear. Can ya'll hear my accent getting thicker as I talk about this? It is in my head anyway. But back to Wynonna. She apparently has been through hell and back and is having her very own pilgrimage to freedom. One of the things she said was that she used to wake up and say "oh God, morning's here!" and now she says, "good morning God." I liked that. I liked that very much. When her mother joined her, they spoke at length about therapeutic tools and how they've learned to be healthier in their relationship with each other and with God. It all really comes back to living in the moment, being present.

I was proud that I gave myself completely over to judging pies and cookies with my dad today. Even though I had other plans, apparently God needed me to spread the joy to Howard county. I could go on about the rest of the day (my grandmother was involved which always makes the day interesting) but my kids are about 10 feet from me and I need to go "be in the moment" with them.
Peace out!

Comments

Popular Posts