Day 9 ~ Listening

Distance: 3.00 miles
Time: 50:42
Pace: 16'54 per mile
Calories: 383
(finally got an accurate stat. Not as good as I'd hoped but it is reality. Now I can start whittling off the minutes)

There has been some talk around here, between my family and I and even in bible class about hearing God speak. Whether or not He truly speaks to us in this day and age. So many people have different opinions about this and the spectrum of belief is vast. I have heard stories of people who claimed to have audibly heard the voice of God from the heavens. Others have said that when God speaks to them, it is their own voice they hear. And still others say it is that still, small voice in your heart that whispers into your psyche and compels you to act.

I know for sure that God speaks to us through His word, but does He speak to us directly? My answer is, yes! I have never heard his voice audibly. Never have I seen a burning bush or witnessed that booming thunderous voice that Moses what privileged to hear on Mount Sinai, although there have been times when I've prayed for just that. There have been times, however, that I knew exactly what to do, or what not to do, just because I listened to my heart, to that still small voice. It is the same voice that plainly told me that I needed to get off my butt and get to work if I wanted to be free. That I must surrender myself fully to Jesus if I was ever going to be happy. Last night in bible class we sang the old hymn, "I Surrender All". Do you ever feel like you're gonna just loose it in front of a bunch of people? It was all I could do not to weep right there in front of everybody in class. The odd thing is that we had just been studying humility and submission to God and here we were singing, I surrender all, all to thee my blessed savior, I surrender all. I am happy to say that I kept my composure.

Submission has always been a tough one for me. Fierce independence runs deep within my DNA. I inherited it from a long line of hard-headed, hard-working, stubborn, determined souls. There are times when this is a strength, and times when it is a weakness. The trick is to find the balance. I believe when you surrender yourself completely to the will of God, it is then that you will hear His sweet voice speak to you. When a person is convinced that they are the captain of their fate, that they are the one in control of their destiny...it will probably be only their own voice they will hear. But if we are willing to lay aside our own desires, our own selfishness and trust God completely, we just might be set free.

If you have time, read this story. It is one of my favorite stories of obeying the will of God and hearing Him speak.
Peace and Love to all of you,
Jennifer

Comments

Popular Posts