Day 46 ~ Pants on the ground

So, apparently when I logged in day 44 I was way ahead of myself. I think I'm back on track now.

Yesterday, Rodney and I drove to Texarkana, then on the Redlick Texas (has anyone besides me never ever heard of this place??) to pick up my new (used) elliptical. We took the long way home and did some sight seeing which was insanely fun, even in southwest Arkansas. When we got the odd-looking contraption home and put in it's place, I couldn't wait to get on it and try it out. First of all, as soon as I plugged it in, the display panel lit up with a blue ambient light and it started chirping sweet little mechanized tunes. If you know me at all, you can imagine my blissful amusement. So, I stepped on and started moving. I'm not sure how to describe the movement. It's not climbing, not walking...it almost felt like moving your legs under water to stay afloat, but not weightless...no no, not weightless. I managed to stay moving for 20 minutes and quite enjoyed it. I felt like a got a good workout, I sweated, I burned calories and my feet and knees weren't screaming at me this morning. Now to continue on doing this daily.
This morning I actually felt pretty good. I did another workout before even having coffee, a monumental achievement.

And now, a glimpse into my mad mad world. As I found myself alone this morning (not without my four-legged children of course), I was hurrying around trying to do about 20 things at once when nature called and I headed to the bathroom. Sometimes, needing to go to the bathroom is a relief for me because it is a clear-cut task. I know exactly where I'm headed and what I'm going to do when I get there. However, this morning as I was wrapping things up, I couldn't decide, "should I take off my sweat pants now and go ahead and put on my work clothes? Or should I remain in them as long as I can?" This hesitancy disease is not exclusive to me in the gene pool from which I emerged. Sometimes when a bunch of us get together it becomes, as my Aunt Susie once put it, "a boiling, seething pot of indecision". So in my state of vacillation, I stood up and half-heartedly pulled up my sweat pants and headed to the sink to wash up. As soon as my hands were good and soapy, the sweats dropped to the floor. Since my hands were wet and lathered up, I couldn't very well pull them up so I continued on as if nothing were amiss. I even proceeded to put in my contacts, just standing there at the sink with my pants around my ankles. It occurred to me that this might very well be something one might see in a psyche ward or an old folks home. It frightens me to think what life will be like for me in 20 or 30 years.

I guess the good thing is that I'm comfortable enough in my own disorder and absurdity that I can tell everybody about it and laugh at myself. Everyday, I learn something new about humanity and my place in it, about God and what He wants from me, even in the small quite moments.

Comments

Popular Posts