Top Ten Daily Essentials

I become overwhelmed very easily...mentally, that is. If things start to pile up, it is fairly usual to find me somewhere, balled up in a corner, sucking my thumb and talking to my hand. It is becoming easier for me to handle stress. The older I get and the longer I walk with God, the more I'm learning to let go of things. And, I must admit that 9 times out of 10, the pile-up is usually my own doing. This is because I'm also a procrastinator-extraordinaire.


I've been a Dr. Oz disciple since his early days on Oprah. I bought the books, read them, shared information with my family until they wanted to choke me, and applied some of the principals to my life. My DVR is set to record his show daily but I fail to watch it regularly. Number one reason is; there isn't time to watch everything I DVR. Number two is; he flat out overwhelms me.


Last week he confronted the issue of TOO MUCH information and boiled it all down into the Top Ten Daily Essentials. I can do 10. That isn't enough to make me want to run and throw myself in a brick wall. So, I watched this show with great anticipation of what the critical essentials would be. I am going to share the list with you and put my own comments in green under each item. Here goes.


10. Eat a Hard-boiled Egg

Eggs are protein powerhouses that provide 13% of your daily protein and only 4% of your daily calories. These excellent, inexpensive protein sources fight frailty. Rich in choline, they also reduce inflammation in the brain, which has been linked to Alzheimer’s. Cook up a week’s worth in advance and take them with you on the go. If you’re not a fan of hard-boiled eggs, eat one a day scrambled, poached or any other way you like it.


I was so happy about this one! We eat eggs almost every morning. They aren't always boiled but it is unusual for an egg to be missing from our breakfast menu. Another big bonus is that we have neighbors and friends that share their fresh, farm eggs. There is hardly a morning that I don't hear the quote from the movie Fried Green Tomatoes "shoot right out a chickens ass". That Rodney Barrett sure has a way with words, God love him.

9. Check Your Poop

First, your poop should never appear white. If this occurs, it could mean lack of bile, indicating a blockage or a problem with absorption. Second, keep in mind that the range for bowel movement occurrence is very broad – anywhere from 3 times a week to multiple times a day is considered normal.

ur Poop


This topic is quite unpopular among the masses. But, thanks to Dr. Oz, it has become something that people are becoming a little more comfortable speaking about. Our bowels are free in my home. We've never been ashamed. This is due, partly to the fact that, when Taylor came along, she introduced us to "happy gas". That girl has always thought that flatulence is the most hilarious thing God ever made. We couldn't help but laugh along with her when she would laugh until tears were pouring down her face, just because she, or somebody else broke wind...or talked about breaking wind... or thought about breaking wind. We also announce our "duties"..."I've got to go do my duties...How did your duties go? I had a lot of duties today" and on and on. Might as well laugh about it.


8. Make Vegetables Half of Every Single Meal
Vegetables are chockfull of vital nutrients and most of us do not get enough of them. Make them half of every single meal. Get your veggies in the morning by tossing them into an omelet. At lunch and dinner, eat more veggie-based salads and soups; divide your plate into two halves with your main course, say chicken or fish, taking up one side and vegetables the other. Click here for more suggestions on getting more vegetables into each of your meals. Single Meal



Another one that isn't too hard to do. It is easier in the summer when we are forced to eat masses of squash and tomatoes from the garden. Sometimes it is hard for me to believe that there are people who don't like vegetables.


7. Take Half Multivitamin in the Morning and the Other Half at

7. Take Half Multivitamin in the Morning and the Other Half at Night

7. Take Half Multivitamin in the Morning and the Other Half at Night

A multivitamin serves as an insurance policy, guaranteeing your body gets everything it needs. However, your body can’t absorb all these nutrients at once, and you wind up eliminating a portion of them via your urine or bowel movements. To maximize absorption, split your multivitamin in two and take half in the morning and half in the evening. Better yet, try and purchase a brand that offers a daily dosage in various pills. Click here for Dr. Oz's Ultimate Supplement Checklist.


This is one I'll have to work on. My brain shuts down somewhere around 8:00 pm so I need to set an alarm on my phone or something to remind me to take my half-vitamin.


6: Supplement With a Bone-Boosting Cocktail

To protect your bones, a multivitamin is not enough. You need a bone-boosting cocktail comprised of:

Vitamin D3, 1000 IU

Calcium, 600 mg

Magnesium, 400 mg

Today, most drugstores now sell this combination all in one pill, and here’s why you need all three combined: Vitamin D aids calcium absorption to keep bones strong. Magnesium also counteracts blood vessel constriction and constipation caused by calcium. Click here for Dr. Oz's Bone-Boosting Plan.: Supplement With a Bone-Boosting Cocktail



This is on my list to purchase next time I go to the store...hopefully I'll remember my list.


5. Get at Least 7 Hours of

5. Get at Least 7 Hours of Sleep

A brand new study shows that people who don’t get enough sleep are not as sharp the next day and most alarmingly, they don’t even realize it. Here are 4 ways to help you sleep better and get to sleeper faster:

Read a book before bed. Reading acts as a soothing balm that helps you fall asleep.

Instead of an overhead light, which stimulates the brain to wake up, use a reading light.

Turn your alarm clock away from view so it won’t stimulate the brain’s pineal gland, which senses light.

Use an eye mask to keep light out and increase sleep quality.

Click here for a list of foods that help you snooze. For more help on getting the quality sleep you deserve, take the Ultimate Sleep Challenge.



Ok, I'm pretty good at making sure I get the recommended amount of sleep. There has never been a "schedule" though. Nothing in my life is on a schedule. Rodney and I have said for years, "we've got to start going to bed earlier and getting up earlier". It's just so easy, when you're self-employed, to get up when you get up and go to bed when you feel like it. Our ideal situation is to be in bed by 10:00 and be up and at em by 6:00, get our daily farm chores done by noon and then work on the extra stuff that has piled up around the farm. We still have hopes of doing this.

4. Have Sex

4. Have Sex

You already know that a healthy sex life with your partner helps you stay bonded and also provides a good workout. Now a new study shows that sex is also good for your brain, leading to improved interconnections in the brain and stress reduction.



The title of this list, if you'll notice, is Top Ten DAILY Essentials. But, if you'll click on the link above and read, the suggestion is once a week. I must say I was somewhat disappointed about that. There are, however, some very good suggestions about connecting intimately with your spouse, like talking, cuddling for 10 minutes, and other things I'll leave to you to research. I can feel my face getting red already. I'll also be printing out a copy of this article for Rodney to read while he does his "duties". Can't get much hotter than that.


3.Breathe and Stretch for 5 Minutes

Five minutes of breathing and stretching each day creates a powerful stress buster that can add years to your life. When you wake up in the morning, try the “hippie” stretch: Reach down and try to touch your toes. Relax your hips and let your head go loose. Now alternate relaxing your left and right knees and walk around a bit. Close your eyes and focus on your breathing. Five minutes later, you’re loosened up and good to go. For Dr. Oz's 7-Minute Workout, click here.


Another one I'm working on incorporating into my day. I usually make a mad dash to the potty, brush my teeth and head straight for the coffee pot. I'm anxious to see what it does for me because just the thought of stretching and quietly breathing for 5 minutes makes me feel more at ease.


2. Eliminate Simple Sugars

Simple sugars are the reason behind America’s obesity epidemic. If it’s white or processed, you need to eliminate it. In addition, practice reading labels and avoid products containing “hidden sugars” such as high fructose corn syrup (HFCS), evaporated cane juice and brown rice sugar. For a list of the other foods you should elimate, click here.. Eliminate Simple Sugars



I've definitely limited the simple sugars in my diet but they aren't completely eliminated. This actually doesn't make sense to me. I can see switching from white rice to brown, limiting anything processed, eating whole grains and not starchy white junk...but to completely eliminate anything with simple sugar? How do you do that? No ice cream? No chewy sweet tarts? Not the occasional snow cone? I'll admit that since I've been so much more careful about this over the past few years that when I do have a snow cone, I get a hideous headache. Or if I eat ice cream, my tummy gets very mad. Or, if I eat candy, automatic yuckiness ensues. But, sometimes, it's just worth the pain.


1. Sit Less, Move More

Groundbreaking research shows that for every hour a day you spend sitting, your risk of death increases by 11%. Even small movements throughout the day, such as fidgeting, can add up to major health benefits. Dr. Oz recommends getting 10,000 steps a day. To do this, invest in a pedometer so you can keep track of each step you make toward optimal health.. Sit Less, Move More



Funny how this one is being reviewed after I've been sitting for about 45 minutes writing. If I hurry and finish, my risk of death should only increase about 9%. So, having said that...I'm off to do something fabulous like fold towels.

Hope this helps all 4 of my readers. Love, peace and health to you all.

Comments

Popular Posts