Plans...

Every time I set up a "plan" it is nothing more than an excuse to rebel against it, or so it seems. People say that you are your thoughts. If I think I'm a failure, I'm a failure. If I tell my self I'm a raving ADD freak...then I'm going to behave that way or, at the very least, use that as an excuse to be spastic and distracted.

I also have an issue with looking back over past failures and using that as an excuse to not move forward.


I've failed at this so many times before, what makes me think that this time will be different? Anybody else had these thoughts?

I don't even like to announce big plans because then it isn't just myself I'm disappointing when I don't see it through. That, and the fact that it won't just be me thinking, "yep, we've heard this story before" and discouraging me from climbing that mountain.

I've been hearing a lot about "couch to 5k" on facebook from a few friends. So, last night I looked up some info and got all excited about doing it then struggled internally about the fact that I would plan it and fail, again.

So, I'm going to go slowly. I'm not going to announce that I am going to run a 5K in a couple months. Nope. I'm announcing that I am going to start this program and see where it takes me. One day at a time. My first week will look like this.

I will work out 3 days, alternating workout-days with rest days. (of course I really don't get "rest" days on the farm)

The first weeks workout will look like this...
Five minute brisk walk followed by 60 seconds of jogging and 90 seconds of walking for a total of 20 minutes. 


Completely doable!!

Thats all I'm going to say about it. Should I make it through the first week and move on to the second. I'll be blogging about that, then.

There are many reasons for needing to implement this into my life. I need to get in shape physically. It used to be about the way I look...now it has become about how I feel. Arthritis is quickly riddling my body. It used to be just my thumbs, but now my shoulders, knees, and back are beginning to feel it. I'm going to talk to my doctor about a new medication option for me next week. If it were up to me, I would love to heal my body naturally with diet and exercise but it just seems like I am going to have to have some relief of the western medicine variety. The way I feel right now, I think I need to go to the hospital and have a 24 hour morphine drip...but I realize I'm a big baby and need to just suck it up and move on with life.

It has always seemed strange to me that me pain dissipates with the pain of exerting ones self in disciplined exercise. Sitting sedentary is worse on your joints than exercise? It all comes clear when I stand from a couch marathon or rise from my bed in the morning.

I've completed one day. Tomorrow will be a light duty day, possibly a trip to the river and some swimming. My joints are always so happy to be buoyant. I think I just got a euphoric high just thinking about it.



Comments

Popular Posts