September morning

The television hasn't even been on today completely unlike that day 11 years ago when we stayed glued to it. There has been no frantic news, no panicked phone calls, no wondering what to do.

Today, I enjoy peace.

I was walking back to the house this morning, cool air on my face, remembering the day we will never forget. There were 4 eggs tucked safely in my hands as I made my way back from the shed. The miracle of life, the perpetuation of existence, life-giving food

all tied up in four beautiful brown eggs...
all in my hands,
all given by God.

It will always be a part of all who were witness to it.

That day.

That morning.

That beautiful September morning.

People could write around the clock and eternity could barely hold the stories from that one day. My story is small. We were tucked away safely on our farm, in our haven of work, in our place on the earth. It played out before us. We prayed, we cried, we held each other closer.

Carrying those eggs home today reminded me in such a simple way about the fragility of life. God speaks to me so sweetly these days. There is peace. Peace I didn't know was possible. Even amid turmoil and struggles...peace. Worry still finds me. Moments of panic and fear are around every corner but with it lies the choice to have peace.

Sometimes, I choose poorly.

"I often give myself very good advice, but I very seldom follow it." ~ Alice  

Thanks to my family and friends, I have help staying in line. As I was catching up on some work at the computer, I found a link to a partisan page spouting ugliness about our president's choice of "tweets" this memorial morning. I chose poorly and shared it, adding my own sarcasm. See, there is this thing I do. I get really upset and judgmental about judgmental people then it occurs to me that I'm doing the same thing they're doing. It helps to have those around me that would call me on it. I got called on it and deleted the post.

Maybe today isn't the right day to be sarcastic about politics. Maybe there isn't a good day to do that. If I want to continue to live in peace, I have to remember that it comes from within. It comes from my savior. And, it comes from every choice I make...big or small. 

Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according the their needs that it may benefit those who listen. ~Ephesians 4:29. 

I need to read that about 10 times a day. Every time I get ready to post something to Facebook, every time I get ready to defend myself...every time I feel sarcasm sitting on my tongue.

Today, I remember. I also apologize for my slip of insensitivity. My prayers will be with those who've suffered losses that cannot be fathomed. No, today is not a day for partisan politics. Today is a day to be thankful for life. Precious, fragile, unshakable life. It's too cherished to weigh it down with the ugliness of the world. Today I will let the sun shine on my face...and enjoy peace.



Comments

Popular Posts